Employment Opportunities & Information
SYSTEM OPERATOR I/II (Open until filled)
OPERATOR I/II - $4,920.44 - $6,279.87/monthly
MCWD is looking to fill the position of System Operator at either the Grade I or Grade II level depending upon qualifications and certifications. A sample of some of the duties include:
- Troubleshoot problems in water treatment and distribution and wastewater collection systems, including stationary and mobile mechanical and electrical equipment; estimate materials and supplies required and perform skilled repair work;
- Respond to customer complaints and emergency calls for services; use inspection equipment to identify causes; and assist in mitigating overflow spills, leakages and damage as required;
- Inspect underground wastewater collection mains and associated appurtenances using closed-circuit television equipment to locate leaks, breaks, infiltration and the buildup of direct, debris, roots and other materials on a scheduled preventive maintenance basis;
- Inspect underground water pipes;
- Learn and perform chlorination of the water distribution system and the maintenance of chlorination equipment;
- Possess knowledge of principles, practices, tools equipment and supplies required to maintain and repair water treatment and distribution infrastructure, wastewater collection mains, and lift stations.
- Principles, practices, tools, equipment and supplies required to maintain and repair water treatment and distribution and/or wastewater collection systems, including underground water and wastewater collection mains, manholes and pump/lift stations.
- The operation, cleaning and preventive maintenance of water treatment, distribution facilities and equipment.
- Basic principles and practices of mobile equipment servicing and repair.
- Tools and equipment required for the work.
- Basic safety practices related to the work, including confined space entry.
- Applicable laws, codes and regulations.
- Basic computer applications related to the work.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service to the public and District staff, in person and over the telephone.
- Performing skilled and semi-skilled work related to the installation, inspection, maintenance and repair of underground water distribution and wastewater collection lines and pump and lift stations.
- Operating, maintaining and repairing water desalination and distribution facilities and equipment.
- Performing servicing and minor maintenance on a variety of stationary and mobile equipment.
- Responding effectively to emergency situations and troubleshooting such situations.
- Safely using hand and power tools related to the work and driving and operating trucks and hydrovactor equipment.
- Interpreting and explaining laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Making accurate mathematical calculations.
- Reading maps, manuals and specifications.
- Prioritizing own work and using independent judgment within procedural guidelines.
- Maintaining accurate records of work performed.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
System Operator I: Equivalent to graduation from high school and a course of specialized training covering the fundaments of water supply principles.
System Operator II: Equivalent to graduation from high school with specialized coursework or training in a technical field that includes the fundamentals of water supply principles and two years of experience in water distribution and wastewater collection systems at a level equivalent to that of a MCWD System Operator II
Associate of Arts or Science degree from an accredited college with specialized coursework in a technical field that may include physical, chemical or biological science.
Licenses and Certifications:
System Operator I: Must possess and maintain a valid California class C driver’s licenses and have a satisfactory driving record. Must obtain within the probationary period a valid California class B driver’s license (and continue to maintain). The following certifications must be obtained within 36 months of appointment date:
California Department of Public Health Water Distribution Operator Grade I,
California Department of Public Health Water Treatment Operator Grade I,
California Water Environment Association Collection System Maintenance Grade I.
System Operator II: Must possess and maintain a valid California class B and C driver’s licenses and have a satisfactory driving record. The following certifications are required at time of appointment:
California Department of Public Health Water Distribution Operator Grade II,
California Department of Public Health Water Treatment Operator Grade II,
California Water Environment Association Collection System Maintenance Grade II,
In order to be eligible for promotion from the System Operator I to the System Operator II, employees must be in possession of all the listed Grade I and Grade II certifications.
For more info. on how to obtain an app. pkg., please call Human Resources at (831) 883-5927 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at www.mcwd.org to obtain a job description and application. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed District application.